For the past week or so, I have been reading Everlost. A lot of people say it's a bad book, but I disagree with them. I personally love books that deal with the supernatural or what I call "non-alien" science fiction. Anyways, I don't think Everlost is a bad book, I just find it a bit odd and rather confusing. For example, it took me a while to figure out what it meant when Leif said that everyone on that highway either passed by or got where they were going (It means they died and got to the light at the end of the tunnel). Only children that get lost on their way to the light and objects that were loved during their time in the living world are supposed to cross over, but unloved objects can be pulled in by vortexes caused by sunspot activity. Afterlights (what the spirits that wander Everlost for all eternity are called) aren't supposed to be able to interact with the living world, but certain afterlights, like Allie, one of the two main characters that the book follows, can pull objects out of the living world and into Everlost. As you can see, the book contradicts itself fairly often.
Another thing that the point of view changes. (Well, technically, it's always written in the third person, but the character who it follows changes.) The point of view changes in every chapter in Unwind, which made it a little confusing in the same way, but in Everlost, there isn't anything announcing it. This was especially confusing during Nick and Allie's time in the twin towers because they had very different views of Mary Hightower and the "routines" that many of their fellow Afterlights fell into, doing the exact same thing day after day until the end of time. Still, if you get over the confusing writing style, Everlost is a very cool and interesting book. I would recommend it to "non-alien" sci-fi fans and other people who like their fiction anything but realistic like me.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment